Hallo, Hallowe’en. Now I’m not about to suggest for a second that you go permanently redecorating the whole house for a one-day event. That would be silly. But it’s hard to ignore that there’s a bit of a scary theme emerging for homes this autumn and the sort of accessories that make it possible to host that rarest of affairs: the ‘tasteful’ Hallowe’en house party. Advance warning: if you’re really into spiders-as-decor, move along. Nothing to see here. Also, what’s WRONG with you?
1. This is the Them Bones wallpaper, above. Yes, its maker Sharon Jane is suggesting you hang it as a statement. She doesn’t even specify an expiry date beyond October 31. Her house must be crazy scary. Anyway if you fancy it, it’s about €53 a roll and you can get it in any colour including on a metallic background. Notonthehighstreet.com.
2. Serve up your blood-curdlingly strong punch from these bad boys: the skull and crossbones glass decanter and tumblers set by Ella James. €87. Ellajamesliving.co.uk.
3. Ah here. Cute knitted pumpkins you can judiciously dangle about the house on Hallowe’en. Thery’re by My babou and cost a tenner at Notonthehighstreet.com.
4. This lasercut paper bunting is a bit goth and a lot more tasteful than your average hanging tat. About €13 from shop.mr-yen.com.
5. This is Kaspa. He’s a table lamp and he’s adorbs and not at all scary. €87 at shoponyourdoorstep.com.
6. There’s not much room on this little broom, but it’s only three yo-yos at Heatons. Heatons.ie.
7. Boo! There’s a skull in your cup of Barry’s. €10 at Urban Outfitters, urbanoutfitters.ie.
8. This is how vampires wash – bright red blood shower gel, cherry-scented. Hang it off the shower rail in the bathroom. Oh what the hell, go Psycho and splatter it everywhere. It’s Hallowe’en. About €6 on Amazon.
9. Fearne Cotton’s black cat table lamp for Littlewoods is uber-kitsch but it suits the day that’s in it. And anyway, what’s not to love about cats? €65, Littlewoodsireland.ie.