Matte lipstick takes it from classic to contemporary
Singer Rita Ora has been undergoing a bit of a transformation the past year and her recent red carpet appearance at the MTV Movie Awards proves more than ever that she’s heading in the right direction.
Blonde bombshell waves and dramatic make up give her some serious va va voom but it’s the on trend matte lipstick which takes it from classic to contemporary and really makes her stand out.
Want to master this season’s matte lip? Here’s how in five easy, key steps:
- Healthy, luminous skin is a must when going for matte lips otherwise the whole look can become a bit severe and heavy. Keep shine at bay without losing your glow with a semi matte powder such as Chanel Les Beige.
- Matte shades are longer lasting but can be unforgiving if your lips are dry so ensure they’re are in tip top condition by prepping with a scrub such as Sara Happ’s Vanilla Bean (yum!).
- For added comfort and to create a smoother base for application, I always like to work a treatment balm into lips first using a cotton bud to roll it on. Philosophy Kiss Me Tonight is particularly good when working with matte finishes as it has no shine so won’t change the consistency of the lipstick.
- A little highlighter applied to the cupids bow goes long way as it’ll catch the light and make lips appear fuller.
- For application, I love the flat, square shape of the Make Up For Ever #300 lip brush, which allows you to get greater precision and sharper lines. If you do make a mistake though, a cotton bud dipped in eye makeup remover can erase all traces of it, especially when working with this season’s brighter shades.
3 TO TRY
Love her lip? Check these out.
Nars lipstick in Heat wave, €25, Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in Hot Pepper, €12.49, and Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar Matte in Harlot, £14, cultbeauty.co.uk.
Gonna give it a go?