Smokey eyes are far and away one of the most popular looks whether it be on the runway, red carpet or in daily life and while we all love a classic smokey eye, techniques and effects are constantly being reinvented season after season.
Makeup artist backstage at Chanel’s AW14 show were one of the most recent to jazz up the ol’ reliable, choosing a silvery base accentuated with colour-pop flicks on the top lid.
Over at Giles, artists from Mac chose a darker grey base shade, accompanied by one of the brand’s bright blue Chromaline liners along the water line.
Fancy giving the new season smoky eye a whirl? Here are my top tips for integrating colour into your usual look:
- Allow the accent colour to really stand out by using only one shade for your smokey base.
- Give eyes definition and contour by building up coverage in the socket line or along lashes using a short-haired blender brush.
- If you’re worried about the effect getting muddied, blend your smokey eye first and then use a cotton bus soaked in makeup remover to then clean the area where your accent shade will be.
- Choose an accent shade that works for you. Hot pink, blue and orange are particularly popular right now, but that doesn’t mean you can’t go for purple, green or even yellow if the fancy takes you.
- Get creative: if you can’t find a shade you like in an eye shadow or liner try using a lip liner, lipstick or blush instead.
Products to try:
- L’Oreal Paris Studio Secrets professional single eye shadow in Lush Raven
- Louise Young Sable brush LY18
- Wet n Wild Mega Liner #863
- Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream in Orange
It’s totes festival-approp, so will you?