Autumn is a great makeup season. We can stop feeling guilty for all the bright summer trends we’ve yet to try, put away the BB, CC and ZZ creams and embrace proper foundation, grown up lipstick and classic beauty looks again.
And of course, the beauty brands oblige, with high street to high end rolling out lovely, lustworthy and wearable bits with which to adorn our faces. Of the many new season launches, these are the bits that have trickled down into my everyday beauty bag – and here’s a snap of it freshly applied on this morning’s commute!
- The new YSL foundation, €40, is just perfect on my combination skin (check out Kirstie’s review). Nothing else has had a look in since I got it.
- One swipe of MAC’s Electric Cool eyeshadow in Superwatt, €20, gives a a metallic, wet-look gleam across the eyelids – no brushes required.
- Want long, fluttery lashes without breaking the bank? With a dry, buildable formula, Seventeen’s revamped Falsifeye HD mascara gives a similar effect to Lancome’s Grandiose – but for just €8.99.
- I’ve been waiting for ages for chubby cheeks to be on trend and my patience has been rewarded with Clinique’s Chubby Stick Cheek Colour Balms, €24, which come in four pretty shades (I love Robust Rhubarb, a pretty peachy hue). If you haven’t yet converted to cosmetic crayons, give these a go and I promise you’ll be hooked.
- Nude lips have totally won me over and, when I’m not wearing this little number from YSL, the Maybelline Colour Elixir in Nude Illusion is rarely off my lips. Glossy, not gloopy, this is a lovely little launch for a not too shabby price: €9.69.
- For a more opaque take on an au naturel lip, Bobbi Brown’s Creamy Matte lipstick €26, comes in four lovely nude shades; Soft Nude is my pick.
- Kirstie’s not convinced, but I’m finding Bobbi’s Shimmer Brick in Sandstone, €42.50, to be the perfect autumn highlighter. Yep, swirl it all over and it will highlight pores and imperfections – but dust it right on the tops of your cheekbones? Magical, glowyperfection. Use a small enough brush and you’ve got five shade offerings in one.
- Which brings me to… Nic’s Picks Real Techniques Set is fan-feckin-tastic! Probably my favourite set from the Pixiwoo sisters so far, the highlights for me are the MAC 217-alike blending brush and the fluffy angled eye brush, which I’m using to get my glow on with the Bobbi Brown Shimmer stick.
What are you loving this season?