Known around the world for their minimal, natural makeup, key to French women’s beauty routines lies in their philosophy of skin care first and makeup second.
This is one of the reasons why you won’t find many heavy-coverage foundations in French cosmetics collections (although traditionally they do adore a red lip).
Fancy channeling our French friends’ love of soothing skin care and natural, chic makeup? Then get like a Gallic gal with these top tips for getting your ooh la la on…
- Take time with your skin care routine, especially when removing makeup. Give your complexion back its glow with Darphin Aromatic Cleanser, for added brownie points include a facial massage while your cleansing to improve circulation and improve removal of toxins.
- Banish dehydration and fine lines by re-hydrating your skin throughout the day with a spritz of thermal water – either under or over makeup. I love the mini spray from Avene Eau Thermale; it’s a perfect size for your handbag.
- Pare back eye makeup – French girls don’t spend hours getting ready but do spend hours chatting and hanging out with friends so switch out the eyeliner, powder shadows and all the time it takes to blend them perfectly and use fingers to blend a little cream shadow on and then add few coats of Lancome Hypnose mascara for definition.
- Master Red Lips; what could be more French than a classic red lip? For me the go-to brand for great red lipstick would be Chanel with my favourite shade Rouge Allure in Passion; although Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet #1 is an absolute beaut.
- Instead of contouring, focus on highlighting skin for a more natural, radiant finish to skin – oily/combination skin types will suit a powder highlighter such as Dior Skin Nude Shimmer where as dry/dehydrated skin types will be enhanced using a liquid shimmer like Clarins Instant Light Radiance Boosting Complexion base.
Got a favourite French beauty buy? Drop it below!